Saturday, May 06, 2006

Biodynamic agriculture - summer courses 2006

Emerson College is having a "Biodynamics for the Backyard" weekend course on 9-11 June 2006. The college is situated near East Grinstead and can be reached by train from London. At £100 for tuition plus two nights accommodation and meals it is great value. There is also a free "Biodynamics Taster Day" on Mon 15 May.

I'm not sure what I think about biodynamics, I like the attention to the vital force underpinning plant growth, and I can understand the need to incorporate animal farming into the mix so that all inputs (i.e. manure) are generated on-site. But I find some of the planting by the moon, and some of the other more mystical type ideas a bit hard to accept. But on the other hand, the Demeter accredited tofu at our health food store is fab. Also I visited Oaklands Park, a Camphill community which uses biodynamic methods a few years ago as part of a permaculture course at Ragman's Lane Farm in Gloucestershire, taught by Patrick and Cathy Whitefield, and it was amazing (plants growing like topsy!) So I think I'll look into this biodynamics a bit more. Any views or useful links are most welcome - just add them in the comments field below.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home