Saturday, March 24, 2007

Planting out broad beans & lots of digging!

Planted out some broad beans today, just next to the runner bean trench I dug last week. They are supposed to be ok in quite cold weather, so we'll see how they do. I grew them in the kitchen in root trainers, to give them a good start as the trainers allow the roots to grow quite big before planting out. I know the old guys rototilling think my plot is weird as I swaddled the beans in fleece, like a little baby! Here is the odd-loooking result.

I'm not sure if I know what they taste like but I think they might be like butter beans in a tin. Here are some recipes and a pic of what they look like when ready, apparently you can eat the whole pod when they are small, then eat the green beans, then dry the beans for soups etc over winter. Sounds quite useful!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home